Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Mountains...A Sacred Place.





I was at lunch with a good friend several months ago and he rhetorically asked, "Where is your sacred grove?" I've actually thought a lot about that question.

With that question in the background, it's always been refreshing and inspiring to retreat to the mountains, especially on a mild Spring or Fall day - both seasons have their distinct beauty.

There is something special about being out in nature and the spiritual closeness that seems to happen there, it becomes a type of temple. Is it any wonder that the word "mountain" is often referred to or compared to a temple...e.g. "get ye up to the mountain of the Lord."? Is it any wonder that some of the most memorable experiences for young men or young women in the church are during their trips into nature?

Reflect on those who were ministered to by Christ after retreating to the mountains: Nephi, Abraham, Moses, Enos, Ether, Joseph Smith, and so on.

I've always loved the words of Nephi, "I, Nephi, did go into the mount oft, and did oft pray unto the Lord, wherefore the Lord showed unto me great things."

Today I rode up on the mountain with my 4 wheeler and took these two pictures with my phone. It takes about 20 minutes to get to this area from our house. It's serene, peaceful, humans rarely leave their mark there, and it's quiet. The only noise are the insects, birds, and wind blowing across the ridge. It really does feel like a temple and has become a "sacred grove" in certain ways.

I would encourage anyone who wants a special experience to take some time and go into the mountains (or some place of nature if there aren't mountains nearby). There is a special closeness when we ponder and pray in the mountains. Remember, this is where many of the ancients had the veil parted.

P.S. I added a picture from two days ago that I took in our backyard. Spring is such a beautiful time of year...rebirth and renewal!

No comments:

Post a Comment